Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I knew this was coming...

But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
And it doesn't mean that it doesn't break my heart, more than a little, each time Samantha reaches for her daddy instead of me.

but really, I did know this was coming. it just doesn't make things any easier. She is starting to have seperation anxiety. The only problem is, she couldn't care less when mommy leaves. But if daddy leaves, even just to go in the kitchen, where he is still in her line of sight, she breaks down into tears. Even with me sitting on the floor playing with her.

This happened yesterday. We were sitting outside, just the 3 of us, and she was playing in the grass. It was hot and Dustin and I were thirsty. So he went in the house to get us some drinks. And Samantha freaked out. Completely freaked. She started running towards the house, screaming at the top of her lungs. But as soon as daddy came back outside, she was fine.

Again, later, we were all in the living room together and she needed more juice. Dustin went to refill her cup in the kitchen and she ran after him, crying her eyes out like he had just done the worst thing possible. I couldn't help it. This time, I cried. I mean, whats so bad about playing with mommy? Mommy loves her just as much. Mommy can comfort her and play with her.

And don't even get me started about when he had to go upstairs to the bathroom. She cried and cried. and then Uncle Matt came home. She RAN to the doorway to see who came in, and when she saw it wasn't daddy, she burst into tears some more. So at least it's not just me, right? ha. Easy for you to say.

She woke up around 4:45 this morning and decided she wanted to be up for the day. After a long, convincing try, we gave up and gave her some motrin. And then i took her out of bed to change her diaper. She fought me and pushed me away. She wanted daddy. Daddy set up her pack n play in our bedroom, and we brought her in there. didn't help. She was finally quiet and daddy said "goodnight Samantha". She was fine. Quiet. Peaceful. and i said "nighty night baby" and she burst into tears. Even Dustin is starting to get frustrated with her not wanting me. It's like she wants NOTHING to do with me.

And it breaks my heart. More than just a little bit.


5 comments:

  1. Oh Jessica, I'm sure it is just a phase. If it makes you feel any better, Gracie does the same thing. If Mike is around she wants nothing to do with me. If he walks away from her or goes into the other room - she freaks! If he goes outside - she REALLY freaks! I think the "nothing to do w/you" part is just a phase though. I wish I could say something to make you feel better. I know it's sad & it hurts.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me remember something from a psychology class....OK, I can sort of remember. Babies from the age of about 18 months to 3 or 4 lean toward people of the opposite sex. It was some Freudian stuff but in my experience it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw :( This part is never fun. Both of my kids had separation anxiety from me, but not my hubby. The thing is, they go through it more than once. I'm not quite sure why it's always been me they got upset over except for the fact that I've always spent more time with them than my hubby, even when I worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry dear.........as the above poster said and as I remember from Psyhch 101.......it is normal and documented by Sigmund Freud. Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my instance, it's true. The boys ALL were completely wanting mommy. Mommy could never leave without them blocking the door, crying hysterical, etc....I couldn't even pee without them watching! Ha!

    Tiffany on the other hand, so far doesn't care. She whacks me away if I put my arms out for her and dh has her. She will run to him as soon as he walks in the door and then cries when he leaves.

    Now I guess it could change... but right now she is all about daddy when he is here.

    ReplyDelete

Give me some love!